Whether it is about using strong call-to-actions (CTAs) in your Instagram stories or optimizing the link in your bio, publishers drive traffic through Instagram in creative ways.
In the following post, we’ll take a look at various features publishers are using to drive clicks on their websites, as well as four strategies you can try right now.
Table of Contents
3 ways publishers can increase traffic through Instagram
As an editor, building a community of readers is an essential part of the success of your publication.
And while Instagram is great for growing a fan base and reaching new audiences, there are limited ways to refer users to other platforms or websites.
Here are three ways to drive traffic to your content:
# 1: Link in bio
The link in your Instagram bio is the most effective way to increase traffic from Instagram – and for good reason!
It’s available to everyone regardless of the number of followers, and can be a one-stop shop for getting followers to a blog post, website, or youtube video.
To benefit from this feature, we recommend using a Link in the bio tool It allows you to share multiple links from one easy-to-navigate landing page.
With Linkin.bio by Later, you can create a clickable version of your Instagram feed, along with the option to add customizable button links:
When followers click the link in your bio, they can tap any picture or button and they will be taken straight to the links you added.
This could be a breaking news article, an ongoing video series, or your latest interview.
Take that away? With Linkin.bio you can generate even more traffic via Instagram – in a simple and optimized way.
Make the most of your bio and start using it Linkin.bio by Later. Sign up today and turn your feed into a clickable landing page!
# 2: Instagram stories
Instagram Stories are a great traffic control tool. Why?
They allow publishers to interact with their followers on a more intimate level – be it by using poll stickers or viewing real-time tutorials like FLARE:
Publishers can forward the traffic Instagram stories by:
- Add swipe-up links (or the new Instagram Stories link sticker). This is the easiest tool when you have 10,000+ followers.
- Link to an IGTV video with clickable links in the video description. You can use this hack even if you have less than 10,000 followers!
- Including clear call-to-actions (CTAs), GIFs, graphics, and text to encourage your community to click the link in your bio.
NOTE: Instagram is currently testing to grant access to accounts with fewer than 10,000 followers the Instagram Stories Link Sticker – so check out this section and we’ll keep you updated.
# 3: IGTV video descriptions
As opposed to Instagram feed posts and reels, IGTV video Descriptions can contain clickable links – making it one of our most popular hacks for increasing traffic.
With IGTV video descriptions, viewers can easily click the URL of their choice.
You can also add a swipe-up link to an IGTV video in stories and do not need 10,000 followers!
To add a swipe-up link to your Instagram story using IGTV:
- Record a video (between 15 seconds and 10 minutes in length) and upload it to IGTV by adding a link to the video description.
- Create an Instagram story of your IGTV video. Include a clear CTA encouraging viewers to swipe up and click the little arrow next to your IGTV video title to discover your link.
- Select the link icon at the top of the story screen and choose IGTV Video. Your IGTV video is now directly accessible via a swipe-up link from your Instagram story.
Find out everything you need to know about IGTV in our Ultimate Guide to IGTV.
4 traffic-driving strategies for publishers on Instagram
Now that you know the tools you can use to increase traffic on Instagram, it is time to see how you can strategically maximize your linking opportunities.
Learn how to drive traffic on Instagram like the pros. Let’s introduce four publishers who know a thing or two about generating clicks – each with their own style:
1. Maximize your link in bio like the SUITCASE magazine
Multimedia travel publisher CASE magazine, often used Linkin.bio by Later to optimize their Instagram bio.
With a mixture of lifestyle photos and long captions, SUITCASE encourages its community to find travel guides, hotel overviews and much more via the link in their bio.
They also maximize the customizable button to drive traffic to their subscription page – full of bundle options, carry-on kits, or single editions delivered right to your door.
SUITCASE’s combination of compelling storytelling, clear CTAs and breathtaking photography helps the audience to discover different content – with just one click!
Turn Instagram into a traffic driver for your content with Later is Linkin.bio Function – available free of charge!
2. Start an IGTV series with clickable links like CRWNMAG
As we mentioned earlier IGTV descriptions are one of the few places (aside from your bio) where you can include clickable links on Instagram.
However, because they are hidden behind a tiny arrow, they can be difficult for users to find.
One way to fix this is to create a compelling series of videos that will encourage viewers to watch and then remind them to tap the arrow to find the links and tags mentioned.
CRWNMAG‘Tuesdays with Ashley’ ‘s series features videos in which viewers are introduced to various creative activities – be it recipes or the art of enrobing.
Many of the IGTV descriptions link to CRWNMAG’s website with the option to purchase their latest magazine, magazine, or print media.
Do you need help creating an IGTV series? Check out How to Create Your Own IGTV Series in 2021
3. Increase traffic with Instagram Stories highlights like Out Magazine
Instagram stories highlights are an easy way for publishers to promote their articles and generate clicks.
By curating feature articles into different highlights, publishers can like From magazine make sure their stories live on forever (not just for 24 hours).
With easy-to-understand categories, new and current followers can find the articles that interest them – and call them up again at any time!
For even more tips on Instagram Stories, you can bookmark this post: 9 ways to increase traffic with Instagram Stories
4. Use viral reach roles like iD
Instagram roles are a huge growth hack for their ability to receive thousands (and in some cases millions) of views – completely organically.
Leveraging Instagram’s latest feature, publishers can reach new audiences by combining stop-scroll video content with a strong CTA in their caption, drawing viewers to their own platforms.
iD magazine has successfully used this tactic and often publishes engaging reels containing CTAs to learn more on their YouTube channel, IGTV channel, Instagram Stories or website.
6 best practices to drive traffic to Instagram
Here is a summary of our tried and tested tips:
- Write compelling CTAs that lead to the link in your bio.
- Use a link in the bio tool to maximize your linking opportunities.
- Use Instagram Stories Highlights to package the stories that get the most clicks.
- Create engaging reels (hello, viral videos!) That convert into clicks.
- Create IGTV content and remind viewers they can find your links in the video description.
- Use a mix of Instagram features to reuse content and increase traffic: stories, feed posts, reels, IGTV, guides.
Armed with the above best practices, you too can generate serious traffic through Instagram and increase your website views.
Try these publishing strategies and watch your community (and clicks) soar!
ICYMI: Linkin.bio allows you to create a clickable Instagram feed and send followers to multiple web or product pages. Register today!