Facebook stated that 90% of its users access Facebook on their mobile phones. This means that Facebook became an important part of people’s lives and was easily accessible. Hence, you might want to take a break and step away from Facebook and Messenger a bit. If you want to appear offline on Facebook, these are the steps!
How to appear offline on Facebook
The settings of web browsers and mobile devices may differ. Even most people use their mobile devices for Facebook. You can also check the web browser settings.
To appear offline on Facebook using your web browser, open Facebook in your browser and follow the steps.
- Click the Chat tab and find the Gear button.
- Tap the Disable Active Status option.
- There are three options under the Showed tab that you want to be shown offline. Select one of them and click “Okay”.
For the Facebook mobile application, the steps are different. Let’s see!
- Go to the application on your phone and log into your account.
- Tap the “Hamburger Menu” in the top right corner of the page.
- Go to the Settings page by clicking on Settings & Privacy.
- Click the Active Status button.
- Change the Show When You Are Active option from On to Off.
How to appear offline on Facebook Messenger
Facebook Messenger and Facebook accounts and apps are managed differently. This is because you can use Facebook Messenger without a Facebook account. Therefore their attitudes are also different. If you’d like to appear offline on Facebook Messenger, there are steps for computers and mobile devices.
Open Facebook Messenger in your browser and follow the steps.
- First, log into your account.
- Click the Settings icon on the left.
- On the tab that appears, there is an option called “Show When You Are Active”. turn it off.
To appear offline in the Facebook Messenger app, go to the application and follow the steps.
- At the top left of the screen, tap your avatar.
- Click the Active Status option.
- On the tab that appears, deselect “Show when you’re active”.
FAQ on active status on Facebook and Facebook Messenger
Active now with a green light means that the user is currently online in the chat. Only the statement “Active now” means that you or the user have closed their chat.
It depends on the activity of the user. While they are chatting they seem to be active with the green dot. When they stop being active, the time they were active appears to be “5 minutes ago”.
While deactivating your active status, you can specify the names and hide your status from them.
Actually, you can’t. This is because Facebook, especially in the application, only changes your status if you force it to. Hence, your status may appear active while Facebook is open in the background.
If you do not deactivate your status, the active status will disappear after 3 days.
Conclusion on Facebook Active Status
While you are active on Facebook, your contacts and / or friends can send you notifications or messages. However, you may not feel like you are chatting with someone all the time. Hence, you may want to disable your active status and be invisible on Facebook. There are ways to do this in this article. I hope you like them!
Since you are reading this, we believe that you value your privacy. Therefore, while you’re at it, you can also find out the results of hiding comments on Facebook, especially if you want to improve your browsing experience.